Special Thanks

Special Thanks to Susan, Laura B., Tim K., Spencer C., and Gary M.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Swimming

It's pretty safe to say that swimming is most triathletes weakest (and probably least favorite) of the three sports. Spending time in the pool helps keep the athletes body well balanced in my opinion. It always feels good to break up the running and biking with a few laps in the pool. 
I have some friends that are pretty amazing swimmers - they make it look effortless and glide through the water, unlike me.  My stroke involves a lot of effort and lots of splashing.  Regardless, swimming is great exercise and I really enjoy it.



                                         The indoor pool at Amarillo Town Club.  Gets pretty crowded depending on when the swim teams are practicing.  Amarillo really needs a new aquatic center to ease the burden that falls on the Town club.

Depending on the week, Coach Key usually has me swim 3 to 4 times with a routine such as this:
Swim (Endurance): h m s - 2900 yds
WU: 700
500 swim/200 kick w/ fins
MS: 2000
8 x 50 on60s (IM order...drill/swim by 25)
4 x 100 IM ri45s (descend 1-4)
300 pull buoy
3 x 100 free ri25s (descend 1-3)
300 pull buoy
4 x 50 kick on 70s (1 ez/1 FAST)
300 pull buoy
rest as needed
CD: 200
free 
Effort: 3
IM = individual medley butter fly (you may use one arm) back breast free
Thanks to the Durretts for letting me use their endless pool. It is a great way to practice for the Open Water swim.
 
I like these TYR goggles because they fit comfortably around your eye socket and have minimal leakage. The lap counter is a helpful tool to use as well.  I got mine at http://www.sportcount.com/.
This is my wetsuit that is allowed for use in water Temperature up to 76.1 degrees F. Age group athletes that are not interested in placing or qualifying for other races can use a wetsuit in temps up to 83.8 degrees.
I'm on call again this week, but it is my last call rotation before the race on May 21st.  The house is pretty empty since it is Spring Break - Chase and Hudson are spending some time in Austin with my parents so Suz and I have Evie all to ourselves.  Thanks for visiting and have a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Sloan-
    Good luck on your race! I spent some time in Amarillo studying for Step 1 back in 2008 (I took 6wk off from my time at BCM to study). You are right about the Town Club- the city really needs a new pool to reduce the swimmer load. I am currently an intern out in California. I will be racing at Ironman Texas (I am originally from Houston). Hope to see you there!

    Luke Gilman, MD

    ReplyDelete